Wednesday, May 26, 2010

This Is What's In The Fridge: Get Creative


With both of us out of town this past weekend - wedding and sibling graduation - we were unable to pick anything up at the market Saturday. I tried to plan accordingly and get enough stuff the previous Wednesday. We've made it to market day once again, but what for breakfast? Here are the contents of the fridge: Two French fingerlings, four baby turnips, one large white beet, a yellow potato, and a few eggs.

Not a dire situation, just calls for a little creativity - and really not a significant amount. While Tamara checked on the bees, I cleaned, peeled and cubed the roots for a white beet, turnip and potato hash. I soaked everything in some salted water and went outside to try to convince Mali (our dog) that by taking part in a game of fetch she was not in fact, as she seems to believe, ceasing to show her solidarity with her fellow proletarians. She again stood strong, although, I think she's beginning to see the potential fun in running after and returning with the ball.

I came back in drained the soaking hash and got the cast-iron skillet heated up with some olive oil. Once it was nice and hot, I added the hash-to-be, hit it up with a little salt, cracked pepper, and garlic powder from the Kilpatrick's. I let everything cook and crisp-up, taking about 10 minutes on medium to high heat and mixing it around every so often. I put the hash onto plates when all the vegetables had a nice brown, slightly crispy texture to them and fried a few eggs in the same pan - the fewer dishes the better. Meanwhile, I took a loaf of wheat-ciabatta that Tamara made yesterday, cut a couple slices, toasted and buttered them. When the eggs finished I dropped them on top of the hash, added the toast, and breakfast-time on the patio.






3 comments:

  1. toss a little catsup or salsa on there....do you make homemade catsup and/or salsa? My mom makes an ill fresh salsa thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. that would be good, not in season though ... although i should can some this summer for all year enjoyment ... thanks bird

    ReplyDelete
  3. done and done ... good idea krunkle

    ReplyDelete