Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Virginal Sugaring Experience

Maple Syrup is not just a pancake condiment, although it is the finest.  We also love to use it with a little balsamic for dressing salads, as a glaze for root vegetables, to sweeten our coffee and tea, as an ice cream topper, in cookies and cakes, as a component in marinades - really maple syrup can find its way into just about anything in our kitchen.  With the price around $30/gallon, just like my precious fish emulsion, it is well past time to tap our own trees.

My friend Tim loaned us a set of 10 taps and buckets to get started on the 6 trees surrounding my parent's house.  So yesterday morning I tapped them and watched the beautiful maple water trickle and drip from the trees.  By early evening it was evident I'd have to empty the buckets so I procured some large plastic vessels to fill.  It won't be long until we are ready for the more labor intensive boiling process.  Of course we are looking forward to it.  In the meantime, I might experiment with an idea a friend shared at the NOFA-NY conference in January and run some maple water through one of those soda machines that are all the rage these days.

And now, trees with buckets.

5 comments:

  1. How did it turn out? How long will they be tapped? How much syrup will you end up with? I've always been curious about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its going well at this point and we'll keep them tapped for a few weeks. the sap runs best when its warm during the day and drops to around freezing at night ... so as long as that's the case we'll keep the taps in. as far as quantity, 40 gallons of sap will boil down to about 1 gallon of syrup. we've only got 10 trees tapped and got a late start, so i haven't a clue how much we'll be able to get

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite memories from living in VT way back when were the sugar parties people would throw when they boiled down all of their sap...can't wait to see how these turn out!

    ReplyDelete